Sunday, January 17, 2016

January 12, 2016 - Kamputhaw, Cebu

So I'll start by letting you know my favorite thing that happened this week. On Sunday, at Church, I was told thrice, by foreigners and filipinos alike, "Elder, you know, you look like Sheldon Cooper!" So that hasn't changed. Then a group of YSA told me very excitedly that I look like Benedict Cumberbatch. That was a new one. They took a picture with me. So I suppose that will continue.

This week we had exchanges in Busay! I worked with Elder Duncan. Busay is the area that goes up on to the backside of the mountain. Just Last week, the Elders got bikes in Busay. So I got to go up there and ride a bike for the first time in over two years. It's true, you don't forget how to ride a bike, but your legs can get weak. It was super hard, riding bikes straight up a mountain. Imagine riding up Rim of the World on bikes from Target. So here I am, dying, and I stop to rest for a second. I look ahead of me, and my companion, Elder Duncan, is talking to a nice husband and wife at their shop on the side of the road. He doesn't have a problem in the world! I was amazed by Elder Duncan. No matter if there are some difficulties to their area, Elder Duncan is one of the most incredibly positive missionaries I have known. He is a real example to me. We were riding on our bikes that night out under the combined light of the stars and trees full of fireflies, going out to the Lopez family, that investigator family I told you about that grows flowers. They all were baptised this last Saturday. I love this work.

About 3 months ago I told you about a man I met in Toledo named Bruce. I had a nice little conversation with him in the grocery store. Well yesterday, we were in our area standing on a busy street waiting to cross, when I see out of the corner of my eye a foreigner walking up to us. I didn't pay much attention to him, until he stood right and front of us and started saying, "I'll have you know, that SCIENCE has PROVED that..." I recognized him immediately and shouted back at him "Bruce!" We caught up a little bit, he asked me how in the world did the kangaroos get to Australia after the Flood, I answered I don't know, and we went on our happy way. I like Bruce because he always has kind of a smirkish grin after we talk. I consider him a friend of mine. 

My verses for you today. I read in Isaiah, 

Sing, O heavens; and be joyful O earth; and break forth into singing, O mountains: for the Lord hath comforted his people, and will have mercy upon his afflicted. 

I have felt in the Mission that I see this happening every day. Every day I witness this joy in the whole earth. I know that that isn't something that happens only in the Philippines. I know that the Light of Christ fills the whole earth, and if we invite the Spirit into our lives, we can feel its power. We can feel this excitement, and all of creation will truly testify to us that God lives.

I love you.

Elder Dunford

No comments:

Post a Comment