Tuesday, June 30, 2015

June 16, 2015 - Talisay City, Cebu

This cloud looks like Space Mountain
We had another Baptism! Sister Ella, the sister of Aaron (and Miriam and Moses [joke]) was baptised. Also there was a Stake Conference on Sunday. It was an Area Broadcast. Elder Brent Nelson, one of my favorite General Authorities, spoke, along with Sister Wixom, Elder Ardern, Elder Craig Christensen, and Elder Neil L Anderson. It was a very cool opportunity to hear the words of General Authorities specifically for the Philippines. Elder Nelson is my favorite, because he was assigned here for 3 years, and thus I got the feeling that really understands the Philippines. I met him when he visited our mission on my very first weekend in the Philippines. I just really like him.

Sitting outside the Obias house with Ella
My story today from Friday. On Friday, we had the baptism of sister Ella, and afterwards the ward was having an Independence day barbeque. By the time the baptism was over and we ate a little, it was about 7 pm. We had planned that day to find some referalls we received who lived in a subdivision, and I was feeling a little hesitant that we would not be able to find them, then we'd waste our short time that night. But I felt like we might as well go ahead and try. So we rode out there to the subdivision. Turned out, we could not find their house. Completely undiscouraged, We started to walk out of the neighborhood, when a man outside a house called to us, "Hey, Elders." We talked to him, and found out the family at that house was members, and we were introduced to Neil. Neil brought us in, and told us he's an RM, and by the looks still pretty young. We started talking, and he was happy to have us over. I asked him if he had a calling, and felt like we should really see how he's doing, when he said, "You know, Elder, it really is true, life gets a lot harder after the mission." I asked him directly about a large scar on his arm and hand, because it seemed like he was directing toward it. He then told us his story. He had been in a motorcycle accident a couple of months ago. He was driving, with his financee as passenger. I had already heard this story, because it happened while I was here. His fiancee passed away, and Brother barely survived. You can only imagine the feelings behind all of this. We felt to share with him 1 Ne 8:4-10.   But behold, Laman and Lemuel, I fear exceedingly because of you; for behold, methought I saw in my dream, a dark and dreary wilderness.
 And it came to pass that I saw a man, and he was dressed in a white robe; and he came and stood before me.
 And it came to pass that he spake unto me, and bade me follow him.
 And it came to pass that as I followed him I beheld myself that I was in a dark and dreary waste.
 And after I had traveled for the space of many hours in darkness, I began to pray unto the Lord that he would have mercy on me, according to the multitude of his tender mercies.
 And it came to pass after I had prayed unto the Lord I beheld a large and spacious field.
 10 And it came to pass that I beheld a tree, whose fruitwas desirable to make one happy.
It was exactly what he needed.

Everything, absolutely everything about this evening was planned by the Lord, I know that. And I am humbled to know he has more he needs of me. The Lord needs us to do His work. He has specific people to touch with specific words. And we need to be there for those people, because they are our brothers and Sisters, and our friends.

I love you so much. I will pray for you.

Elder Dunford

No comments:

Post a Comment