Wednesday, July 1, 2015

June 30, 2015 - Talisay City, Cebu

I wanted to just write a little about the thing I taught in District Meeting . I usually take the approach of teaching Gospel principles by teaching about my worldly knowledge, like physics or sports. You know how my brain works, I find it a lot easier to make connections and comparisons, so I 've been creating my own parable approach. I wanted to share my example this week.

I wasn't able to prepare a ton (at all) because I wasn't really feeling good this week. But Sunday night, something came into my mind. Sailing. So it ended up on Monday Morning, at District meeting, I told the district when we would sail out of the jetty and head toward Long Beach, you would tell me "Keep headed toward the Queen Mary. Keep your eyes on the Queen Mary, whatever direction we have to tack, make sure we are headed toward the Queen Mary." I explained tacking and the wind, and that was pretty much it. That's all I had really prepared to talk about, is explaining how we'd sail to the Queen Mary. But then I turned it to the district, and each elder and sister pointed out something they had taken from that, and they each had a lot of different things they had learned. From their explanation, it became a very complete parable, far more than I had thought of, and it became a very good district meeting.

I just want you to know, I have seen a young family literally piece itself together from shreds in the last 6 months. When I got here, Sister usually had no clue where her husband was, other than that he wouldn't come home with any money. Her 4 children were taken away from her by her cousins, who wanted to protect the children. 

But last night, I visited them one last time. Brother and Sister, now both members of the Church, hugged me tightly before I left. Their 3 boys are now with them, and her youngest daughter will be with her soon. Brother is on his way to a steady job. They are so far from perfect, which they'll tell you. But I know the Gospel of Jesus Christ has put their family on the right track.

16 And after this manner do they bear record: The eyehath never seen, neither hath the ear heard, before, so great and marvelous things as we saw and heard Jesus speak unto the Father;
 17 And no tongue can speak, neither can there be written by any man, neither can the hearts of men conceive so great and marvelous things as we both saw and heard Jesus speak; and no one can conceive of the joy which filled our souls at the time we heard him pray for us unto the Father.3 Nephi 17:16-18

I read this this morning. It reminded me of my feelings last night as i met with their family.  That's the happy message I want to give to you today.

No comments:

Post a Comment