Tuesday, November 10, 2015

November 10, 2015 - Kamputhaw, Cebu City, Cebu


Right after I got the Picture with a recently restored 1973 Mustang II, the owner came up and we talked to him. We taught them the restored gospel.


KAMPUTHAW (cam-put-haw)

Wow, this place is awesome!

My area is right in the middle of Cebu city. For my entire mission, whenever we go to the temple for whatever reason, I've always looked out and thought it'd be cool to really work here. Now I am literally working in the very area I've always looked at. You know how I just kinds of like cities for some reason. I've discovered many reasons to love this city. I will list them.

1. There are so many people!
     A lot of our area is residential places where a lot of people live very close to each other. It would be inappropriate to call it squatter housing. These people have proper houses for their families, it's just that they are built literally on top of, under, and on the sides of each other. So what that means is, there are a lot of people here.
2. They all want to talk to you!
     Even if people are more busy, it's okay, if not a little better! Still, everyone is open to talk to strangers, and they are open to talk about the Gospel of Jesus Christ. And everyone's just a little excited to see the white guy speaking visaya.
3. Public Transportation!
     One of the most hilarious things to me is a twenty five foot long, pure chrome jeep overloaded with neon lights, horns, floodlights, flags, antennas, and most importantly passengers, blasting out disco remixes of last year's pop songs.
4. The Temple!
     Everyone knows the Mormons, and everyone knows the temple. It is so cool to be here.

Me, Bro Juvy, and Elder Garcia. This week was stake conference in Cebu City Stake. As they called the names of brethren receiving the Melchezedek Priesthood, I heard a name I recognised, Juvy. Then I saw this guy stand up in the front, because he was in the choir. He is from Escalante, and is one of the members we worked with a ton! It was super cool to see him.


My companion is Elder Garcia. He is super cool. He is from San Mateo Rizal, in Luzon. He is so good. He is super loving. He is super exciting to work with, and he sincerely loves everyone. Especially the missionaries. He is seriously concerned about the best ways that we can lead our missionaries. He owns up to his weaknesses, and he works to overcome them. I love him so much, he is the best.

This week was Cebu City Stake Conference. That was fun.

This week was also MLC. On Tuesday, I saw all my batch, and we learned from President and Sister McCurdy and the Assistants. It was great.

The Tapanan Family, from Toledo. They were baptised in January, except for Jessabel, the girl next to me. She was baptised this Saturday. This family is remarkable. They are always laughing. 


This week I found myself studying about the Fall. I learned how Satan does not understand happiness. 2 Nephi 2:18, he seeks our misery, but he thinks that misery is to have to work. He thinks that misery is probation, and he thinks that misery is death. And so he tempted Adam and Eve to try to make these "miseries" come upon them. But it turns out, there is a greater purpose for these things that he does not understand. As we work, we gain treasures for our work. Our "probation," our life on earth, gives us a time we need that we could repent of our sins. And death is the necessary passage way before we "rise with living breath", through Christ the Lord. I loved the opportunity to visit the temple yesterday, because my knowledge about these things was added upon. 

Yesterday also in the temple, I was seeking to know what I need to do here in Kamputhaw. I feel like it is a very important time for me, and the things I do now will affect the missions of the new elders in our zone. So I was trying to find out what I must do. The only answer that came to me was "Keep the commandments. Love these covenants. Do hard work." So that is what I want to do. I know that Christ is our Rock. He is the one who carries our weight, so we can do anything. There is no limit to the work we can do.

I love you so much. Thanks for the update on your goings about over there. I miss the LH football.

Elder Dunford

No comments:

Post a Comment