Monday, June 16, 2014

June 11, 2014 - Escalante City, Negros Occidental

Yesterday, I went on splits to Old Escalante. Old Escalante is the branch adjacent, Eastward of Escalante. It covers the area of Barangay Old Poblacion, which I would guess is the old city center around here, which sits on a kind of peninsula out there. But Elder Jamil and Elder Lagundino are the missionaries in Old Esc. Branch, but they live in our house in Escalante Proper, so we're all close, but it is a separate area from mine.
(In my letter to Adam this week I let him know about the pool party we had in the Young Single Adult Ward)
I'm glad to hear things are happening all as usual over there at the Mar Vista people. I just can't believe it's already been a year since the last "welcome the new seniors to the ward" pool party, and two years since I was one of said seniors. I'm getting more and more of an idea that this mission is not going to be forever as I had thought previously in my life. 

I'm doing well. I have yet to really get sick at all here in the Philippines. The last couple of days, it's rained at night, and been a bit more cloudy during the day, which makes it less hot. Yesterday, when I was over in Old (Escalante), it started raining while we were in a lesson with Sister Plieda. When we entered her house, there was blue skies, but it started thundering as we started the lesson, and the rain started coming down. And it came down hard, just solid sheets of rain for about 15 minutes. Between the rain coming down on the tin roof and the fact that Sister mostly spoke Illongo, it was something of a hard time hearing what was going on. But the lesson went well, and by the time we were to leave, the rain had moved on, and left a new day! (nothing seemed to move, everything was still. It's just another perfect day.) Blue skies above bordered by black clouds, and extremely muddy pathways were the only thing that seemed to tell it had rained. It's cool in the tropics. And the rain here is actually pretty cool, it's not like that Caribbean or New England rain that just rises like steam when it hits the ground. It's nice and cool here after it rains. 

Elder Montano has been pretty sick this week, which we've decided to either be a stomach virus or allergies to the dust here, so it's not contagious. But we've had a few days that we've had to stay in the apartment and only go out for an appointment or two. So it's been kind of hard with that, but it's given me an opportunity to brush up on my Preach my Gospel and Book of Mosiah. I like in Mosiah 23:21-22, where the Lord seeth fit to chasten his people. Nevertheless—whosoever putteth his trust in him the same shall be lifted up at the last day. Yea, and thus it was with this people. Thus it may be for us, if we put our trust in the Lord. We're working through this trial, and everything we face.

I feel I have grown for myself here. I trust in the Lord. I know he knows what is right. And I know that he speaks to us, if we seek him.

Trails along fish ponds

Thank you always for getting me here. This is an incredible place. These are wonderful people. I'm finding for myself how to live my life here. I know that this is good. I know that this is true.

Love,

Elder Dunford

No comments:

Post a Comment