Sunday, February 2, 2014

January 31, 2014 - MTC

(Note:  Adam sent me this Cebuano hymnbook for my birthday. -trina)


I'm glad you got the book!  They've got some good Cebuano materials at our bookstore, it's kind of surprising how much there is in our little language. "G"s are pronounced like in "gate", and "mga" is probably one of the hardest things we have. It's like "nga", except the beginning has the "m" as basically a separate syllable, so it's kind of like a two syllable word. But mga is a pluralizer, so it makes whatever follows it plural, so I will send mga pictures to you. 

My friend from school, Stetler Eppley left this Tuesday for Cambodia. We were able to get together for one last picture, and it's exciting to see him heading out, even if that means I'm the last of the Budge Boys here! 
Elder Eppley and Elder Dunford

So I told you in my note that our elders sang "I need thee Every Hour" in part Cebuano, part english, for our branch meeting. But We decided that we were so good at it, we auditioned for the Devotional music number yesterday! So the seven of us sang, and it was all very fun, though I don't know if we quite realized that we would be auditioning for Sister Nally, the MTC President's wife, who has been heralded as one of Utah Valley's best composers and musicians today. So after we sang, she gave us all a few tips and told us that if she had plugs for her ears, it would be great! (In a very nice way, though using those very words.) So they gave us the "That was nice, we'll tell you if we find something to use you for" and we had another fun experience for us all.

Our service assignment, which is usually cleaning and mopping for most people, for us is raising the flags in the morning. It is so fun.
Elder Dunford raising the Philippine flag
I'd believe the mountains are hurting, we've barely had three inches of snow the whole time I've been here! it's just been nice and warm, and everyone's complaining about how cold it is. They don't understand last winter! I heard you all finally did get some rain, we got a little storm the last couple of days, but it's been so warm it was half rain, and the snow didn't stick at all. But I won't have to worry about that at all in a week and a half!

This morning, I got my FLIGHT PLANS. I will be flying on February 10,  from SLC to San Francisco, then on from SFO to Manila, then on to Cebu. From February 10, 4:50 pm to February 12, 7:15 am, I will be flying. This also means that a week from Monday, I will be leaving the Western Hemisphere WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW.
Time is absolutely flying, I just can't believe it's really coming down to this short.

Grandma sent me a box of goodies, including Martinelli's, since I missed out on the party, I guess. That was really nice, though. 

And thank you for your spiritual thoughts in your letters. I just want to let you know, I know what you mean what you've always said about the MTC. There is such an incredible power here. The spirit is just so very tangible, and there is so much learning done in this very short time here. I have really come to recognize the heritage I come from, how I have learned from great saints, strong in the gospel from my youth.

Thank you. You are always in my prayers.

Elder Dunford

No comments:

Post a Comment